bank rates

Got Tax Questions? Ask the IRS

February’s here, and that means it’s time to start thinking about filing your 2009 taxes.

If you have questions, or are looking for federal tax forms, here’s how to contact the Internal Revenue Service:

How To Get Answers From The IRSOn the Internet: has instructions and information on every tax topic, publication, and form. You can research questions, order forms and publications, view IRS bulletins and use interactive tools for making certain calculations.

By phone: Call 1-800-829-1040, or 1-800-829-4059 if you’re hearing impaired. Lines are open from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. local time (Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific time).

But if you call, be prepared to wait.

According to the National Taxpayer Advocate’s annual report, the IRS is swamped and hasn’t been able to keep up with the demand for information about new stimulus-related tax credits and deductions.

The IRS expects wait times will average 12 minutes and only 70% of people who call remain on hold long enough to talk to an agent.

In person: The IRS Web site will also locate the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center nearest you.

Don't miss out on the next bank deal. Get the newest deals delivered straight to your inbox!

Comments (5)
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
5 Existing Comments
  1. Ryan said:
    on February 6th at 03:05 pm

    You can also use our service, BIDaWIZ, to ask tax CPAs tax questions through our bidding process.

  2. Daniel Hahn said:
    on February 9th at 01:06 pm

    Or you can get it for free at

  3. Justin said:
    on February 13th at 05:02 pm

    I think alot of people are scared to ask the irs questions.

  4. Janice Westbrook said:
    on June 3rd at 06:36 am

    Roberta purchase a machine in 2007 and used 179 expense deduction . In 2009 business use dropped below 50%. As a result of this drop Roberta must ? What should he have to change, or do he have to change anything.

  5. Nancy Christopherson said:
    on June 8th at 06:15 pm

    My full time student son will turn 24 on Sept 23 , 2011. I have fully supported him and he has not worked for the entire year 2011. Due to him moving to a new city it took six months for him to get financial assistance and registered for school, He started school June 2011 and will continue as a full time student up to December 2011. I have supported him this entire year , I am concerned that because he will be turning 24 in September( 23rd) and has been a full time student 6 months of the year 2011, that I will not be able to claim him. I hope this is not the case . Please help with this problem.
    Nancy Christopherson