Here’s one very good thing Capital One 360 has kept from its ING Direct days: the annual Fourth of July week specials, which started today and run through Wednesday.
This is the second “Financial Independence Days” special Capital One has offered since purchasing ING Direct and the first after rebranding the online bank Capital One 360.
The deal we’ve highlighted in the past — the checking account bonus — isn’t nearly as good as it once was. But this is a good fee-free account, so if you’re thinking of switching, this deal isn’t terrible.
Open a 360 Checking Account and, if you use your debit card to make five purchases or use CheckMate (the remote deposit function) to make five deposits — or a combination of both — within 45 days, you get a $100 bonus. (Last year, ING Direct offered a $152 bonus.)
It must be your first 360 Checking Account. If you previously had an Electric Orange Account with ING, you’re not eligible for the deal, either.
You’ll earn just 0.20% APY on balances of less than $50,000.
But Capital One 360 has no monthly fees, and it boasts free access to 38,000 ATMs that are part of the Allpoint Network.
Here are the other five deals:
- Open a 360 Savings Account with at least a $500 deposit and get a $76 bonus. This must be your first 360 Savings Account.
- Refer two friends who open a Capital One 360 account (360 Savings, Kids Savings Account, 260 Checking and MONEY accounts all qualify) by July 15, and you’ll get a $76 bonus. Even if you refer just one person, you’ll still get $20 (they bump it up to $36 for the second). If they open their accounts by July 3, they’ll also be eligible for the holiday deals, assuming they meet all of the requirements.
- Open a ShareBuilder brokerage account by July 3, and deposit at least $5,000 by July 19, and you’ll get a $176 bonus.
- Open a ShareBuilder IRA by July 3, and you’ll get a bonus depending how much you deposit, transfer or roll over from an old 401(k) by Sept. 3: $576 for $100,000, $376 for $50,000, $276 for $25,000.
- If you’re a small or mid-size business owner, get a quote for a ShareBuilder 401(k), and buy a plan by Aug. 4, and you’ll get up to $176 off ($176 off a customized plan, $76 off a simplified plan, $17 off an individual plan). This is the only one that requires a code: It’s JULYSAVE
Capital One 360 is still running a separate sweepstakes that started in June: Customers who make a deposit with CheckMate are automatically entered in a contest to double that deposit up to $3,000. This one runs through July 18.
Find out more about these deals at https://home.capitalone360.com/independence.