We list only banks on our CD Rates Leaderboard that sell certificates of deposit to savers nationwide with no strings attached.
Of course, we bring you daily local CD deals from banks and credit unions that beat the national leaders.
And there are also credit unions that offer top CD rates nationwide — if you’re willing to put up with joining fees and other conditions that could cut your earning power.
Today, I thought we’d take a look at some of the best nationally available CD rates at credit unions. All of these rates are better than what you’ll find on our Leaderboard.
- Connexus Credit Union (www.connexuscu.org) is paying 3.00% APY with a $10,000 minimum deposit. You must make a $5 donation to the Connexus Association, pay a $5 membership fee and have an “active” checking account to purchase CDs.
- Melrose Credit Union (www.melrosecu.org) is paying 2.83% APY with a $5,000 minimum deposit. You must pay a $1 membership fee and deposit $25 in a savings account to purchase CDs.
- University Federal Credit Union (www.ufcu.org) is paying 2.83% APY with a $2,500 minimum deposit. If you’re not an employee or student of the University of Texas (or don’t meet dozens of other qualifications), you must pay a one-time $20 membership fee to the Texas Longhorn Foundation to join the credit union and open a premium checking or money market premium account to purchase these online-only CDs.
- Fort Knox Federal Credit Union (www.fkfcu.org) is paying 2.15% APY with a $500 minimum deposit. Anyone can qualify for membership by joining the American Consumer Council and paying a $15 credit union membership fee.
- University Federal Credit Union is paying 2.08% APY.
- Melrose Credit Union is paying 2.07% APY.
- Self-Help Federal Credit Union (www.self-help.org) is paying 2.02% APY with a $500 minimum deposit. You must pay a one-time $20 membership fee to the Center for Community Self-Help to join the credit union and purchase these CDs.
- Self-Help Federal Credit Union is paying 1.77% APY.
- Alliant Credit Union (www.alliantcreditunion.org) is paying 1.70% APY with a minimum deposit of $25,000 and 1.60% APY with a minimum deposit of $1,000. Unless you live in the Chicago area or belong to a qualifying organization, you must make a donation of at least $10 to Foster Care to Success to be eligible to join the credit union and purchase these CDs.
- Fort Knox Federal Credit Union is paying 1.60% APY.
- Melrose Credit Union is paying 1.56% APY.
- Connexus Credit Union is paying 1.75% APY.
- Melrose Credit Union is paying 1.31% APY.
- Self-Help Federal Credit Union is paying 1.31% APY.
- Alliant Credit Union is paying 1.30% APY.
- Connexus Credit Union is paying 1.50% APY.
- Self-Help Federal Credit Union is paying 1.01% APY.
Compare these returns with the best CD rates from scores of banks in our database.